Saturday, February 19, 2011

Rambles: "Politeness" shocks people

You know what, I am very sad to say that we have reached a point in this world where being polite means "we want something from you" or something that does not exist anymore.

I say this because:

1. I never witness much of it here in Malaysia.
- I remember I once tripped on a few steps in public and I saw this girl giggling her a** off behind me. I don't know what was so funny for her, but I felt sorry for her sad life, reaching a situation where she had to get joy from other people's weak moments.

- It shocks people when I am polite.
- I take the taxi every morning and I always wish the taxi driver "Good morning" when I sit in the car.
One day, as I got into the car, I greeted the driver (I hadn't seen him before). He told me that in his 7 years of working as a taxi driver, he had never heard anyone say that to him before.


That made me feel really sad for him, but I felt good to make a tiny difference in his day.

Today I had a similar experience...I was walking over to my taxi and on the way, I wished all the drivers a good morning. One of the older ones said "Wow you are so good, you say good morning to all of us." I was kind of embarrassed by that as I didn't know how to respond to that.

I just wonder how much effort it takes to smile at a person, greet them, say thank  you or acknowledge their existence in any way. Making this effort will make a difference.

Remember, no matter how good you look, how attractive you are or what position you hold. You are as just the same as every other person, so treat everyone the way you want to be treated.

Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Very well expressed - it is a fact!! Looking forward to read more keep writing. :)

    ReplyDelete